Sunday, February 26, 2012

No Bake Energy Bites - From My Pinterest Addiction

I was browsing through Pinterest and found a pin for No-Bake Energy Bites at Smashed Peas and Carrots Blog.  I'm on a healthy eating lifestyle change and decided that these would work well. But when I went to make them, I did not have coconut and while I did have chocolate chips, I did not want to add them in. My new version tasted like Preacher Cookies (also known as No-Bakes) without all the sugar and butter.  I'm sure the original recipe would be delicious as well.  Here is what I came up with:

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 heaping tablespoon  nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon vanilla

I tend to keep wheat gluten for making bread.  I added it here because it has a lot of vitamin C.  I added the nutritional yeast because of it's health properties as well.  Now when I added the cocoa powder, I expected it to taste like chocolate without the added calories of the chips, but I was happily surprised that it made the energy bites taste very similar to the preacher cookies that I grew up with.  Now it's not as sweet obviously, but a good enough substitute for me! According to the site of the original recipe, you can sub in and out many different things depending on what is in your pantry.  Try them and let me know what you think.

No comments: