Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Deb's Pumpkin and Cream Cheese Muffins

According to my son, these are not Pumpkin muffins, they are "Punkin" muffins!  Either way they are are a household favorite.  I'm going to put down the recipe for a dozen, but I would recommend doubling it if you have a larger family.  Mine tend to devour two dozen in a day!  I made a batch to celebrate the most snow that I've ever seen in South Carolina!

Cream Cheese Filling
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, slightly softened
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • pinch of salt
Muffin Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (do not level)
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease muffin pan. Use the bakers version that contains flour.
  2. In mixing bowl, combine cream cheese filling ingredients. (I do this in my stand mixer and just scrape the ingredients into a smaller bowl when done.  I don't even clean the bowl before starting the next step!)
  3. In mixing bowl, beat eggs until thick.  Add in Pumpkin pie spice, salt, pumpkin puree, milk and canola oil.  Beat until combined.
  4. Add in flour, sugar and baking powder.  Start slowly with the mixer and then beat on medium until it's combined and no longer.
  5. Fill the muffin cups 1/3 to halfway full.
  6. Add in about a teaspoon of the cream cheese filling to each muffin cup. If there is any left over, add it to the ones you think need a little more.
  7. Use remaining batter to cover the cream cheese.  The batter should almost reach the top of the cup.  Make sure the batter covers all the cream cheese mixture.  You may need to use a spoon to help at this time.
  8. Bake 15 minutes.  Depending on your oven, you may need a bit more time.  Use a toothpick to test the edge of the muffin for doneness.  If you stick it in the middle the cream cheese will come out on the pick.
  9. Place cupcakes on rack to cool immediately after pulling them from the oven. 
  10. Beat off your family while waiting for them to cool down and enjoy!
I hope you guys enjoy these as much as we do!  If you want to get a little fancier, you could mix a cream cheese icing to drizzle on top or even add a 1/4 cup of pecans or walnuts to the muffin mix. 

I got the original recipe from a muffin book in the library. I don't remember the name, but it was not that impressive.  I've changed a lot of the ingredients, so I'm okay with claiming it as my own. I've also consolidated some of the steps.  Using one bowl to mix all the ingredients really helps with the clean-up.  I no longer mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl either.  I have a limited amount of time in the mornings to cook and I've found that pre-mixing the flour and baking soda in a separate bowl adds nothing to the taste or flavor of the muffins.  If it did, I would not have changed it!

If you try these, let me know what you think!

No comments: