Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Brenna's Cake and Cupcakes

I love, love, love to make cakes for the kids birthday.  And I've been very fascinated with the things that you can do with fondant.  So this year I did a green cake with daisy's. I used the daisy cutters that I had recently purchased for a baby shower cake.  Her first birthday theme was "Princess", but I could not use pink food color because of my oldest daughters red dye allergy. That's why only the smash cake is pink. 

The cake and cupcakes are homemade strawberry cake with homemade butter cream.  Click on the links for recipes. I added in half a small jar of strawberry jam to the cake and some extra strawberries. I finely diced the fresh strawberries instead of mashing them and put a little sugar on them as well.  Next time I make this cake, I will probably add in a squeeze of lemon.  Lemon just adds a little something extra to strawberries.  As for the butter cream, I added in a little bit of butter flavoring. You can find this in the cake isle at Hobby Lobby. There suggestions for subbing in real butter in the comments, but I found the original recipe good with and without the butter flavor.  I filled the cupcakes with a mix of butter cream and strawberry jam.  It was a fun little surprise for everyone who had one!

Here are a few more pictures.

No comments: