Monday, April 19, 2010

Back to the Basics

Daniel and I have been on an emotional roller coaster since Easter Break.  Things have been up and down and I think I've been suffering from spiritual fatigue.  God's been pushing me to hit the basics again. For me the basics is Philippians.  God used that book (along with some other folks) to teach me about joy and rejoicing in the hard times.  I've had a hard time rejoicing lately. 

Did I mention that I've been pushing back and dawdling when it comes to reading Philippians.  I do have a stubborn streak and I don't know why I let it get the best of me.  So today, all 3 kiddos went to sleep at the same time. I have not had 2 kids to sleep at one time in weeks.  It's been rough. I got ready to start doing the dishes and making some bread, when God stopped me and pointed me back to Philippians. I may be stubborn, but the big guy is thankfully very persistent.

My bible was literally under my nose and I grabbed it and sat down.  Let me tell you, it was balm for this weary heart.  And I want to share with you what he put in front of me from Philippians.  If you are fatigued, I hope that this will help you too. 

It's from Philippians chapter one. I'm only going to type what I underlined today. It's what stood out to me and touched me deeply.  You'll have to read your bible for specific verses.

Philippians 1
  • I always pray with joy; being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus; 
  • all...share in God's grace with me;  
  • speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly; the important thing is that... Christ is preached.
  • I rejoice.  Yes, and I will continue to rejoice
  • what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance
  • have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For me to live is Christ and to die is gain.  
  • stand firm in one spirit, contending as one man for the faith of the gospel.
  • believe on him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle I had, and you now hear that I still have.
Praying with joy, being confident, rejoicing, having courage, believing on Him... When I'm going through tough emotional times, these things become harder as the days wear on.  I become tired and melancholy.  But when I listen to God, when I let his words and time with Him renew my spirit, I am made whole.  And that's were I am right now.  My cup runneth over.  My spirit feels refreshed and ready to rejoice through the ups and downs.  I hope that you find time today to turn to Him and renew your spirit as well!

No comments: