Saturday, June 6, 2009

Peach Muffins

Sarah had a sleepover last night and I've been avoiding grocery shopping like the plague! So I had to come up with something fast... I knew I had almost everything needed to make muffins. And, I had peaches that would only be good for another day or so. After checking Allrecipes.com, I found this http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peach-Muffins/Detail.aspx. It was highly rated. I did make a few changes based on the comments and what felt right when I was making them. Here is the revised recipe.

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (I only had Crisco on hand so I melted it before adding to the wet ingredients)
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups white sugar plus 1 tablespoon
  • 3 cups peeled, pitted, and chopped peaches
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease 24 muffin cups.
  2. Add 1 tablespoon sugar to the chopped peaches and stir.
  3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the oil, eggs, milk and sugar. Stir the oil mixture into the flour mixture just until moist. Fold in the peaches. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups.
  4. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Turn out onto wire racks to cool. Or if you can't wait, enjoy them warm!
Note: The batter is kind of thick. I added the milk to help thin it out some. The original recipe did not call for adding sugar to the peaches. I did this to get some syrup on the peaches, thin out the batter and amplify the flavor.

I'm normally not a huge fan of cooked fruit, but I will be making this again. I think it would also be good if you subbed in apples or raisins for the peaches. Overall, this would be a great base recipe for any muffins. Just change the seasonings and/or fruit.

No comments: