Saturday, January 3, 2009

All Day (Morning) Sickness


I read on a website devoted to pregnant mothers that it is assumed that some well-intentioned, foolish male doctor most likely described the nausea and vomiting experienced during the beginning of many pregnancies as morning sickness. I must say that I believe it. What woman, after experiencing this affliction, would ever dare to pretend that it lasts for a few hours in the morning.

This is the first time I have ever experienced "morning" sickness. It started about three weeks ago and steadily increased in intensity. At first I was unable eat many fried foods. Then it moved on to sweet foods, veggies, milk and even water. To be honest, the water was the hardest to give up. I only drink water and milk. I can live without milk, but water is a whole different story. For the past week or so it was so bad that I would end up on the couch in misery. By the grace of God, I've skipped the puking portion but that is just a small consolation when in the grips of nausea.

Over the past week, I've slowly determined a few things that remain palatable. Cold (not luke warm or room temperature) water with lemon, ginger ale, angel hair with lemon and ginger, pecans and Chai from Starbucks. That's it folks. That's been my diet the last two days and I've not been pestered by the all-day sickness. It's amazing that a small child growing inside of me can have that much control over my diet.

I'll be heading to the doctors on Monday for my first check-up. This pregnancy I'm trying out a new OB/GYN. My dear friend Alicia loves them and I hope that I will as well. In the mean time, I'll keep praying that this nausea ends soon and I can add some different foods back to my diet!

1 comment:

dennisanddanielle said...

CONGRATS on the news of a coming baby!!!
And we will be praying for the nausea to go away soon!
Dani :)