Thursday, June 26, 2008

Our Holden Vacation

First let me start off by saying that Daniel and I rarely have things happen without unexpected suprises. This trip was to be no different.

We had planned to pick Sarah up from her dad on Sunday, June 15th. However, we got a call on the 14th telling us that he was in Burlington to drop her off. Daniel and I were shocked. We had just started to pack for the vacation and were not that far along. I told Sean we would try and figure something out.

Daniel and I talked and decided to figure out a way to get Sarah on Saturday instead of sending her home with Sean that night. She was so excited about going to the beach and if we didn't get her, she would have spent two full days on the road. Daniel called his aunt and uncle who live about 45 minutes from Burlington but they were at their boat and could not make it. Then his aunt mentioned her son might be able to do it. Thankfully, Charlie was able to make the trip over to grab Sarah. Since she didn't know Charlie and Tisha that well, Daniel and I decided to pack everything (in 45 minutes), then drop the dog off at his moms and head on. While we were at his mom's, I checked and made sure that I didn't screw up the dates and was glad to see that I didn't!

Anyway we picked Sarah up in our new van. She didn't know that we had traded in my aging Impala. When we arrived, we were greeted by Lizzy, Charlie and Tisha's 4-5 year old daughter. She was such the little hostess! I can't begin to tell you how adorable she was. She invited Daniel and I to have pudding and then when we were leaving, she said something to the effect of "Thank you so much for having Sarah hear, we'd love to have you back." Just imagine that in a kids "grown up" voice.

As we walked out the door, Daniel and I pretended to not know where our car was. We acted like it was stolen. Sarah, sensing the trick, looked at us and said it was probably behind the silver van. We walked over and there was nothing there. I looked at Sarah and said, "Oh well, we'll just have to take this van." If you know Sarah, you understand that she has a good sense of what's right and wrong. She looked at me with the most serious expression she possesses and said, "You can't do that. It doesn't belong to you." I kept on putting Ashton in the van and looked at her and said "Oh well, we're going to take it anyway." She started to rip into me as I quietly said, "Sarah, we own it." That stopped her. She looked confused and shook her head no. Then Daniel and I spilled the beans. She couldn't believe we tricked her so well!

After all the drama and excitement, we ended up at the house around 2 or 3 Sunday morning. Daniel and I were exhausted. We spent Sunday getting groceries, walking on the beach and sleeping! On Monday, it was going to rain so we headed to Myrtle for some shopping. While at Barefoot landing, we managed to get free tickets to Medieval Times. All we had to do was listen to a time share spiel for 2 hours. That would not have been bad if the woman did not possess the most obnoxious laugh that I've heard in a while. But, 3 hours (not 2 but 3) of nodding our heads and trying to ignore the irritating laugh was worth $150 worth of tickets. The show was great. Sarah and Ashton were so enthralled by the knights and horses. Our knight even threw Sarah a carnation for being on the loudest cheerers! Oh, and we ended up getting the best seats in the house. But that story is for another time.

I'm going to stop going on about the trip and post a few pictures. Ashton by the way will join his sister in being a beach bum. He loved the water. Sarah became interesting in searching for loggerhead turtles laying their eggs. We didn't find any, but managed to see some washed up jellyfish and catch a few ghost crabs. Next year, we'll have a better idea of what to look for. Sarah also managed to get a hole in one at putt-putt.

No comments: