Friday, May 16, 2008

Lime n' Pepper Pork Chops

Yesterday, I invited Alicia and two other ladies from church over for lunch. We had a little recipe that I came up with last week. Sarah loved it so much that she ended up eating two pork chops at dinner. The thing that makes this meal so great is that it's incredibly easy to make.

4-6 boneless pork chops (works best if they are 3/4 inch thick or more)
3 limes (4 if they don't have much juice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons dried cilantro
1 gallon size zip top bag

Zest 2 of the limes. Place zest in bag.
Juice the 2 limes directly into the bag (I just use a fork.)
Add in salt, pepper and cilantro. Close the bag and shake to mix ingredients.
Cut the 3rd lime into 4-6 even slices.
Take the pork chops and cut a slit in fat side. Cut until the hole almost reaches the other side. Be sure make it big enough to fit a slice of lime.
Add one slice of lime in the opening of each chop. Try to squeeze it all the way in so that the meat closes on the slit side.
Place the chops in the bag, close it and coat the meat.
Leave it on the counter for 30 minutes or so to marinate. Turn about halfway through.
Place chops on the grill and cook until they are almost done. Pull off the grill to rest.

Notes:
I'm a little like Rachel Ray when I cook. I don't use measuring stuff unless I'm baking. Just eyeball the salt, pepper and cilantro. I guessed the measurements above. Don't be shy with the salt.

I don't marinate this in the fridge. The meat seems to grill better if it is close to room temperature.

I don't recommend marinating for hours on end. Citrus juice is acidic and will "cook" meat. A half hour to 45 minutes will adequately tenderize and flavor the meat. The lime in the middle will help keep the meat moist while it cooks.

And, finally don't overcook your pork. If you are using a meat thermometer, avoid placing it in the cavity with the lime. Cook the pork until it's 10 degrees away from the "ideal" temperature. Then pull if off the grill to rest. The meat will continue cooking once removed from the grill. (Don't believe me? Leave the thermometer in after you remove it :) That applies to all meats.

2 comments:

Debra G. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I Love your pork chops MOM!