Friday, May 16, 2008

Grilled Veggies

To go along with the pork chops, I added in some grilled squash and zucchini. I've never really liked either until last year. Daniel's mom introduced me to fried squash and then I tried the zucchini at Alicia's house. So for mother's day, I added a twist onto it. I grilled the zucchini. It was delicious. When all the girls came over for lunch, I added in some squash. Now I have a couple of new favorite veggies!

1-2 lemons
Extra virgin olive oil
Salt
Pepper
zucchini
Squash

Cut the zucchini in half and then cut the halves into 1/2" wide strips.
Cut the squash into 1/2" wide circles.
Zest the lemon(s).
Juice the lemon(s).
Add about 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
With a whisk, stir in 1/4 cup of olive oil or enough to provide enough liquid to evenly coat all veggies.
Marinade for a few minutes to a few hours. (I've never tried it overnight.)
Heat up the grill. Apply some Pam for Grills.
Take your time to lay all the veggies on the grill evenly. Make sure the white part of the zucchini is on the grill.
Allow dark grill marks to form and then turn.
I like it better when there is a lot of black on my veggies, but grill to desired darkness.
Remove and enjoy.

I like to grill extra for later. When I reheat, I sometimes make it into a new salad. I add the squash and zucchini, some leftover meat, blue cheese and a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. It's delicious.

No comments: