Monday, June 18, 2012

Lazy Parenting

Lazy parents.  It seems to be an epidemic in America these days.  It hit me again this week while standing in line to order lunch for the kids and I. We walked in and found a line that reached to the door.  Ashton and Brenna had to make a detour to the potty.  I decided to send them with Sarah so I could wait in line and order (we had little time to spare because I had to drop the kids off after lunch and take Ian to an appointment).

I had Ian in my arms and had made it halfway through the line when Brenna and Ashton came running over to me.  Brenna let out a shrill scream (which drives me nuts) and Ashton was bouncing around as if imitating Tigger.  I quickly corrected both of them and sent them with Sarah to get a table.  That is when an older lady behind me thanked me for  being a good mom!  That's right, I was thanked for doing what a mom needs to do. She was even more impressed that Brenna and Ashton settled down and did what I asked after the first admonishment.  And it's not the first time that it's happened!  What gets me is that most folks expect children to behave poorly these days and most parents believe that they do not have the power to change it.

My heart breaks for this generation.  Raising children requires work and consistency.  It's a labor of love and vital to bring up well rounded people.  As Christians, we are told to train our children it the way they should go.  I've received training for many different positions in work and as a child.  That training did not end once I was hired.  It continued throughout my career.  Why is it that parents think that training a child is any different?

I've been toying with the idea of doing a few parenting posts. I don't know how often I'll get them on here but I strongly believe that many parents have to change the way they are doing things. I am not the best mother in the world. But, I can honestly say to you that I'm pretty good at my job. My children are generally well behaved, good kids who are a pleasure to be around and I know that I can leave them anywhere without worrying about them. 

Now for a disclaimer.  Good parents do have challenging kids.  I've been in the middle of the store with a 3 year old in the middle of a meltdown.  I've   politely asked folks to back off while my child was crying from a timeout. I've been hit, scratched, smacked and spit on. It happens to most parents at some point!  No matter how good of a parent you are, each child is unique and some are strong willed through and through! Additionally, good parents have kids who make poor choices or turn out bad.  We are training our children in the ways that they should go but can not make every choice for them.  What matters is that we run our race in parenting. In this day and age we must do everything we can to raise our children properly. It just saddens me that people see that as an anomaly and not a normal practice.

No comments: