Thursday, June 9, 2011

Welcome Ian!

On June 7th, Daniel and I arrived at the hospital around 10 a.m.  We were directed to the recovery room to prepare for surgery. Generally, things are always running a little late but it was different that day.  Once the nurse plugged in my IV, she called for the nurse for the anesthesiologist to come talk with me.  I've had two other epidurals and am very familiar with the drill.  As he walked out of my room 5 minutes later, I heard him tell a nurse that he loved repeat patients!  Once he was done, my nurses started calling my doctor to see if he would be available to go deliver early. Apparently this is a rare thing! 

Now, did I mention my doctor is also known as the "Ken doll?"  He's got sandy blond hair and is taller and lean.  I guess he's good looking, but the fact that he's most likely had a few rounds of botox always stops me from seeing that! Regardless, he's a great doctor and even though it's distracting, I'll keep going back to see him.

My dear little son Ian was born at 11:54 a.m.  Due to his size, 10 pounds and 4 ounces, the nurses literally had to push and shove him out of my abdomen.  While I did not feel pain from cutting, that portion of the section was a bit painful and extremely uncomfortable.  The reactions by the doctors and nurses was pretty funny though!  Ian's size caught them off guard and they had a good time guessing his weight before the official weigh-in.  Daniel recorded the entire birth for me.  I can't tell you how much I love that he did that.  It offers a connection to the birth that I never had with Sarah or Ashton. 

After they pulled Ian out, he came over to see me, peed all over the place and went to be cleaned up!  Daniel was then able to hold him and sit beside me while I was put back together again.  I'm so thankful to the Lord that things went so well for both of us.  When I was finished and cleaned, they wheeled me back into recovery. This time Ian was allowed to stay with us in the recovery room!  I was rolled in and got to see him laying comfortably in my dear husbands arms.  I love that sight!

So far, Ian has been an amazing little guy.  He's been sleeping long stretches and every now and then will open his eyes to explore his new surroundings.  He's taken to nursing like a champ. Tomorrow he'll be circumcised and he'll be having the little flap of skin under his tongue clipped.  He's a bit tongue-tied at the moment.  That condition is not really affecting his nursing at the moment, but could cause some issues later on.

He did get to meet his siblings on his birthday!  It was so much fun to watch them react to this helpless little newborn. We are so blessed to have such great kids! 

As for me, yesterday my new nurse managed to get most of my pain under control.  I'm looking forward to heading home with Ian on Friday and starting to figure out the "new normal" for our family. 

Now it's time for me to try and sleep again.  All this medicine and baby feeding is causing me to have random waking moments throughout the night. 

But for you pleasure, here are a few pictures of my new little man!


Kevin and Michele said...

What a precious baby! Congratulations!

Kevin and Michele said...

Congrats on your new son!

Debra G. said...

Thank you!