Friday, January 7, 2011

T & A Surgery Part 3

Hallelujah!  Ashton seems to be on the mend today.  It's the first time since the surgery that he's been perky most of the day. He still needs some pain killer, but once it's working he's moving normally.  Daniel and I are praying that tonight he will finally sleep through the night.  The whole sick child part has been tough.  He's been very needy and clingy.  And watching the poor guy in pain, well, I hope it's a very long time before I have to see that again. Lord willing, never!  But the toughest thing for Daniel and I was the lack of sleep.  Ashton has spent every night in bed with us for the past week. We've tried getting him in his own bed, but the pain in the night became too much for him and he needed comfort. And anyone who has had a three year old sleep with them knows that they are the only one really getting any sleep!

But as I said, today marked a turning point.  He played some, talked a bit more than he has been and drank more cups of milk/juice than he has on the previous days.  We're working on getting him to take in more food, but that will come soon. 

On a good (and hilarious) note, he finally did the one thing that really told us he was on the mend.  I don't know if I've posted on this before, but Ashton has a throne complex when it comes to the toilet. Not only that, he wont go, ahem, number two,  if stressed.  And this last week has certainly been stressful on the little guy.  So for the past week he hasn't visited his Spider Man throne at all.  Daniel and I were waiting and discussing some options to encourage a reunion.  I have to be honest, I have never seen a kid that can hold things as long as he can.  This isn't the first time and I'm sure it will not be the last.  Never the less, it baffles me!  I digress!  Tonight he kept telling me that his stomach hurt.  The last time he walked through the living room telling me that while holding his little tushy. I asked him if he needed to sit down as that is how we differentiate things and he said yes.  I think I may have praised God for that! And after his 30 minute routine (which is normal for him), he was mostly better.  A little pain killer and my sweet boy is in bed and has yet to wake up!  Hooray!

For those who have to go through the surgery, it's tough, but Lord willing it will stop a lot of the illness' and other problems that our kids have had. I must say, I read a lot about how bad the kids breath would be after surgery.  No one exaggerated.  Ashton's breath was so bad that even after a bath you wondered if the funk would ever go away. I have pillows to wash because they are permeated with that smell!  But as soon as your little guy is agreeable, brush their teeth.  It cuts the odor down somewhat.  It took Ashton 5 days before he would brush and when he did my sensitive nose was extremely grateful!

No comments: