Saturday, September 12, 2009

My Exciting Night Life

This past week, I've stayed up late and tried hard to get up early. I've spent my late nights drinking and hanging out. Well, technically I've been drinking tea and entertaining a newborn during her "awake" time, but that doesn't sound as exciting. Then again, that all changed two nights ago. Two nights ago, Brenna started to recognize her Momma.

For those of you who have never had that pleasure, let me tell you, it's an awesome thing to see that look of recognition and the resulting, non-gas induced smile come across the face of your newborn. Their eyes start to track your face and as soon as you say something to them, they smile. And it's not just any smile, it's pure joy and excitement. It says, "Hey, I know you!" And then, you smile back and the cycle repeats. At this point, I'm wiping tears out of the corner of my eyes! Yes, you bonded at the hospital. And yes, you've bonded during all the late night feedings. But this smile, this look of joy brings forth such crazy amounts of emotion, that even I can't stop the tears from forming as I write.

And tonight, at 1:45 a.m., I managed to capture one of those smiles on camera. And as I write, I can honestly say that it's worth all the missed sleep to see that look. (At least it's worth it most days!)
After this picture, she stopped smiling until I put the camera away. Smart kid that one is. But I'm patient. I'll capture many more of those gorgeous little smiles. I'm just sneaky like that!

No comments: