1 whole chicken
3/4 stick softened butter
1/2 large onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse the chicken under running water and pat dry with paper towels
- For faster cooking, cut chicken in half. (Cut out the back bone and then down the middle of the breasts.
- Using your hand, form a pocket under the skin of the bird. Try to leave the edges on one side closed. Make sure you open up some areas on the leg and thigh.
- Wash your hands.
- Slice lemon into 8 pieces and set aside. Slice onion.
- Place the softened butter in a bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of rosemary powder, 2 pinches of cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a good amount of twists on the pepper mill. Mix the spices into the butter. Taste it. I know it sounds gross, but this will tell you if you have a good balance of spices!
- Put a cookie rack on a sheet pan. (This will allow the fat to drain off the chicken as it cooks.)Place onions and one slice of lemon on the cookie rack where the halved chicken pieces will lay.
- Salt and pepper the bottom of each chicken half and then place it on the onion/lemon bed.
- Place 3 slices of lemon into each half of the chicken. Be sure to get one slice over part of the leg and one towards the thigh. The other should lay on the breast.
- Take the butter mixture and use 2/3 to stuff inside the chicken halves. Be sure to get some on the breast, leg and thigh.
- Use the rest of the butter mixture to coat the skin of the chicken. Add a little extra salt and pepper to the top of the chicken.
- Place in the oven to bake until done (30-40 minutes). Test with oven thermometer before taking it out.