Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Summer Pasta Salad

For the past few days, the weather has hovered in the 70's. Because of that (and the baby), I've been getting a good amount of produce. Yesterday I wasn't sure what to make and then remembered my favorite pasta salad. It's quick and easy and you can add whatever you have in the fridge. I'm listing the produce I had on hand but feel free to change it around.

2 cups Pasta (macaroni noodles, ziti, shells, bow tie or whatever)
Olive Oil
1 lemon juiced (zest if you feel like it)
1/2 cucumber
2 Roma tomatoes
1 scallion
Shredded Parmesan cheese
salt
pepper

  1. Cook pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain and place in serving bowl.
  2. Coat pasta with olive oil.
  3. While the pasta is cooking, dice cucumber and tomato. Thinly slice scallion.
  4. Add veggies to pasta. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper.
  5. Stir everything well to ensure pasta is coated with lemon juice.
  6. Add a handful of Parmesan to pasta and stir.
This recipe is easily adjusted for company. If I had had chicken, ham or turkey, I would have cut it up and put it in the salad. One juicy lemon would most likely coat 3-4 cups of pasta if you like a milder lemon flavor. Just taste the pasta and add more if needed. Shredded carrots, corn and sugar snap peas are great in this as well.

No comments: