Thursday, March 19, 2009

On the Wagon...

...the money saving wagon that is! With the economy tanking and our leaders lacking the ability to pass sensible economic bills, I've been working hard to save money on the grocery end of things. This week I was extremely successful. Tonight I purchased $99 worth of groceries for $70. In addition to that, I went to the Jockey Lot (it's a big flea market) and purchased a weeks worth of produce, some groceries and 2 - 5 packs of large sharpie markers for $24. At the store, I would have spent well over $50.

For the week, I saved the family over $55. I think that's my record. Plus, a good portion of the groceries will last through next week. This saving money thing is getting addictive!

I'm still working on getting better at shopping with coupons. I only managed to save $4.50 this week. But 95% of the rest of my shopping was done via the sales (which accounts for the rest of the savings). And, that's not counting the things I need to pick up at Walgreens tomorrow. They had plenty of coupons in the paper this weekend and I'm going to stock up on a few things.

For more information on savings, check out posts at Alicia's and Kevin and Michelle's blogs.