1 package of egg noodles (I like the NoYoke brand)
6 decent sized cubed steaks cut into 2x1" pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil (plus more if needed to cook the steak)
3 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup evaporated milk
2 tablespoons beef granules (these are like beef boullion)
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ground rosemary
1/2 teaspoon season salt plus extra to liberally season the cubed steak
1/4 cup sour cream (eyeball this and add more if you like a stronger flavor)
- Liberally season the cubed steak front and back with the season salt. Dredge in the flour.
- Cut onion in half. Thinly slice onion.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan. When it's hot, add pieces of the steak. Brown on both sides. You are not going to get the steak all the way cooked at this time. When it's browned on both sides, remove from the pan. Repeat until all of the steak is cooked. Add more oil if necessary.
- Add thinly sliced onions to the pan. Sprinkle onion with salt and pepper. Stir until onion is translucent.
- Add 4 tablespoons of flour to the pan and stir it into the onions. Let cook for 30 seconds.
- Slowly start adding the water. Stir to break up the onion/flour mixture. Sauce will begin to thicken. Add beef granules, milk, cayenne, rosemary and season salt. Add additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Add cubed steak back to the pan. Do not add the drippings that came off the steak.
- Simmer the meat in the sauce over medium heat. Add water if needed to thin the sauce and stir periodically.
- Begin the noodles at this time. Do not cook the noodles longer than called for on the package.
- The noodles and the steak should be done at the same time. Place noodles in serving bowl and pull out steak pieces and place on top.
- Add sour cream to sauce and stir until it's incorporated. Taste again to make sure it's well seasoned and that you like the amount of sour cream.
- Pour sauce over the noodles and steak.
- Stir it all together and serve.