Monday, September 29, 2008

Where in the World?

This past week has been crazy. And, right now I'm worn out with all that's been going on. Here's the lowdown...

A little over a week ago, we had to take Cheech to the vet. He's been having a hard time moving around and we didn't know if any medical interventions could help. You see, he's over 13 years old. They gave us some pain killers and a poor prognosis. Today, I had to set up the appointment to have him put to sleep. Tomorrow will be hard. I can't even type this without crying.

Last Tuesday, Daniel got a call about his 87 year old grandmother. She had to be taken to the hospital. Due to the symptoms, we thought it was a stroke. After testing, they found a brain tumor. It was the size of a golf ball. The doctors were going to remove it Friday, so we decided to cancel Ashton's 1st birthday party. That day, we received the call that they were pushing it out until Sunday because of an emergency case.

Saturday Daniel, the kids and I headed up to Asheville to see Jean. I just hope that I can be as lively as she is when I'm 87. It's always a blessing to see her. She was doing as well as could be expected and loved seeing the kids. Daniels mom, sister, cousin and aunt came later. We visited for a while and then headed back to Jeans house so that she could rest.

Thinking that it would be fun to have a mini-party for Ashton, I decided to bring a cake for Ashton and a cake for the rest of us. It was a great way to end a stressful day. Ashton was covered in cake and icing. It was too funny!

I headed home with the kids that evening. Daniel stayed in NC to be with his grandmother on Sunday for the surgery. Praise God, the surgery was a success and Jean came through with no complications. Apparently she was joking with the surgeon while they were digging out the tumor. Now she's sporting a black eye. No, the surgeon didn't hit her! Really! The tumor was near the optic nerve and a lot of blood vessels were damaged. Other than that, she's doing great.

Last night, Ashton came down with a fever. He woke up every hour from 1-3. It was just long enough to wake me up. Then around 3:30 a.m., he wouldn't go back to sleep. I got him and gave him some meds and a bottle. We sat up for a while. I made it back to bed around 5. Ughhh! I had to cancel his appointment for his one year old shots. I'm certain that he planned it that way. My father-in-law was wonderful and came to take Sarah to co-op so I could stay home with the baby.

Ashton woke up a little while ago and his temperature was 104.8. I gave him a cold bottle and asked Sar if she would take a bath with him so we could get his temp down. She's such an angel and went to run the tap water. When Ashton is sick, he freaks out in the bath. Tonight, he held on to his big sis and we were able to get his temperature back to 102.7.

So now, I'm trying to catch up on the blog. I'm praying that Ashton's fever will break. I don't know if I'll have time for a nap tomorrow. Plus, it's going to be a tough day because of stuff I've already written about. I guess I'll turn in now...

No comments: