Thursday, September 4, 2008

Teriyaki Grilled Chicken Thighs

Daniel and I have been working on saving money. Part of that includes trying out cheaper cuts of meat. I was at Sam's and they had a huge pack of chicken thighs for $6. I've never made the thighs and was in need of a good recipe. We had this one for dinner tonight and it was amazing! It came out of Southern Livings Ultimate Quick and Easy Cookbook.

1 gallon size Ziploc bag
8 chicken thighs (about 2-3 pounds)
1/2 cup soy sauce
5 green onions chopped or 1/2 medium onion chopped
1/4 cup lime juice
2 table spoons brown sugar (light or dark - we only had light, the recipe calls for dark)
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper (I only had cayenne on hand. I put in a 1/2 teaspoon or so)
1 garlic clove pressed (I only had the minced stuff and added a tablespoon.)

Combine soy sauce, onions, lime juice, sugar, honey, pepper and garlic in the bag. ( I didn't use a measuring cup for the ingredients. I pulled a Rachel Ray and eyeballed it.) Mix it up.

Add in chicken. Marinate for a minimum of 8 hours. I ended up leaving it in for 24.

Pour marinade in a pan and heat to a boil. Use this to baste the chicken as it cooks on the grill.

Cook chicken without grill lid over medium heat for 10 minutes on each side until done. Baste with marinade as needed.

We loved this meal and it was so tender. I have a hard time judging chicken with bones and had to put some of the larger pieced in a parchment pack to finish cooking them.

If you try this, let me know what you think.

No comments: