Friday, January 28, 2011

Train Them Up

Last night I had the privilege of putting Ashton to bed. This is normally something that Daniel does with him, but he was away for the evening.  We pray with him each night before he goes to bed. After we read our story last night, I told him it was time for us to pray.  He looked at me solemnly and said, "I want to pray tonight!"  I told him sure and we held hands and bowed our heads.  This is how his prayer went:

"Father God, I love you.
Thank you for this day.
And, uh, thank you for the book,
And for my toof brush,
And, uh, I love you,
Amen."

I smiled as he completed it and was ready to take him off to bed.  But then he looked at me and said, "I need to pray again!"  I told him it was okay and he went on again.

"Father God, I love you,
Thank you for my toof brush.
Thank you for Brenna brushing her teef
And, uh, (here he spoke to fast for my understanding),
And, uh, thank you for sissy,
And she brushed her teef.
Thank you for my Spider Man (his treasured potty seat),
and thank you for loving me.
I love you Jesus.
Thank you for today,
And my book and Jesus.
In name I pray,
Amen!"

That little man brought tears to my eyes.  I hugged him and put him to bed.  We take for granted the little moments at time.  Each night we pray. After meals we pray.  When things are rough and when things are well, we pray.  And as we do that, I was reminded that we are training this little man up in the way that he should go.  This skill is vital to our relationship with Christ and my guy talked to him like a friend! It also blessed me to see that even in his 3 year old mind, he knows to thank his Creator for all that he has.  Even his favored potty seat!

On a side note, I was in the kitchen two days ago when Ashton had to visit his Spidey throne.  As I was putting chicken in the crock pot, I heard him singing.  This isn't unusual, but the verse of choice was.  He kept singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" over and over again as he took care of business.  I kept cracking up. When he was done, I went in to help him finish up.  I asked him what he was singing and he said, "Holy, Holy, Jesus!"

1 comment:

Wilson Family said...

Wow, brought tears to my eyes! Thanks for sharing! You guys are doing an amazing job training them up! I am proud of you!