1 6lb. 6oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 large can tomato paste (or 3 of the little ones)
2 cups of tomato juice (optional)
1 can of condensed beef broth
2 large onions, diced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon dry parsley
1 tablespoon dry basil
2 teaspoons dry oregano
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste (if you like sweeter sauces)
- Saute the onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in tomato paste.
- Add in beef broth. Stir until the tomato paste is broken up.
- Add crushed tomatoes and tomato juice and stir.
- Add in the basil, parsley and oregano. I like to put it in my palms and crush it as it goes into the pot.
- Stir and taste. Add salt to taste.
- If desired, you can add sugar at this time. I like having a little bite in my sauce so I refrain.
- Simmer for 30 minutes to an hour.
How do you make it into expensive sauce?
Red Sauce with Red Wine
- Reduce 1 cup of red wine in a pot. Let it reduce by half. Add desired amount of red sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Dice 1 medium onion up and saute in olive oil until translucent. Add 2-3 cloves of minced garlic. Cook for an additional minute and add desired amount of sauce. Simmer for 10 - 20 minutes.
- Dice 1 medium onion up and saute in olive oil until translucent. Add 2-3 cloves of minced garlic.
- Add in 1/2 cup of vodka (you really don't have to add this) and 1/2 cup of beef broth (you can sub with beef bouillon). Cook until it's reduced by half.
- Add in 1/2 to 1 cup of heavy whipping cream.