Today I went out to lunch and came home a volunteer firefighter. No, I'm not joking! I put out a little fire across from the railroad tracks in Easley. My mother-in-law and I had a wonderful lunch at Serendipity's. We decided to drive to Lowe's in her car. I needed some stuff out of the van and headed on to get it while she was putting Ashton in the car seat. As I was going to the van, I noticed a lot of smoke coming from the mulch around one of the light poles. Not wanting to get involved, I just headed on to the van. But as I came back out, the smoke had increased and there were little flames. That I could not ignore. I walked over and tried to snuff the flames out with my foot but the fire just grew a bit. Thankfully I almost always have water in the car. I grabbed a bottle and came over an put out the flames.
Since we were in the middle of Easley, I doubt that the fire would have amounted to anything (if I had walked away) due to it's location. But it reminded me that in Myrtle Beach, many folks are losing their homes as a fire rages. Pray for them. And be careful. I have a feeling this was just someone carelessly throwing down a cigarette butt. That carelessness in other places can cause the loss of life and property.