Friday, February 22, 2008

Cat and Mouse Games

Over Christmas, Daniel and I found that a mouse had taken the fluff off of our angel tree toppers wings. We were quite amazed since we've never seen one is the house. Then a week or so ago, I found a mouse dropping in one of my cabinets. YUCK! So I went out to Walmart and got the ultrasonic mouse repeller plug ins.

To be honest, I wasn't sure if was a good use of my $20 bucks, but I have an aversion to the lethal traps. And, we can't use the poisons because of the kids and the cats. That night, I was sitting in the recliner with Ashton. He'd just finished his 11 o'clock feeding when out of the corner of my eye, I watch this little mouse start running across the living room floor. His eyes looked as if they were going to pop out of his head.

For a minute, I thought I was seeing things. So I got Daniel out of bed and put Ashton back in the crib. Daniel and I grabbed a broom and the swifter thingy and started pulling out the couch. Our "chase down" of the mouse was almost comical. We would see it and then suddenly it would disappear. Then Daniel noticed a slight movement in the old base board heater. I popped the cover off and we managed to shoo the mouse out the front door. If any of our neighbors happened to be watching our front door at that time, they would have laughed - a lot!

Poor mouse, the front porch is the cat porch. I tried to get it out the door before the cats came in but it wasn't cooperating. We decided to see if the cat's had a better chance at catching it now. I did leave the doors open so it had a shot at making it out alive.

The one thing that irks me is that Ted (our oldest cat) is an extremely good critter catcher. He brings home mice, moles, squirrels, birds and other stuff all the time. But he can't catch a mouse in the house. We also have two other cats. I've never seen Jinx catch anything, so I'll let her off the hook. But Noah, the youngest has been learning from Ted and caught his first bird a month or so ago. They have NO excuse! Oh well, hopefully we've seen the last of the bulgy eyed mice in the house.

No comments: